Hendrik Gheerardyn was born in Bruges, Belgium. Since childhood, he has been passionate about nature and always liked drawing and painting. After his biology studies, he earned a Ph.D. in Sciences (Ghent University) and researched the taxonomy and ecology of a group of small marine crustaceans (namely copepods) for more than eight years. A major part of his work consisted of describing and drawing new copepod species, and these were published in international scientific journals (such as Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, Journal of Natural History and Journal of Crustacean Biology). Through these microscopic investigations, he further developed his great sense for detail.
Next to his career as a biologist, he never lost his interest in the visual arts. During more than 15 years, he took various art courses (such as Painting and Graphic design and illustration) and studied part-time at the City Academy of Fine Arts in Bruges, St-Lucas Arts Academy in Ghent and The Florence Academy of Art.
As a freelance illustrator and infographic designer, he combines his background in scientific research with excellent drawing skills to produce clear and accurate illustrations. As a zoologist, he mainly illustrates animal subjects, but also has a strong interest in botanical, geographical and general science topics. His work is characterised by scientific accuracy, clarity and fine details, using different styles and media.
- Book publishers: Academia Press Wetenschappelijke Uitgeverij, Noordhoff Uitgevers, Scandinavian Fishing Year Book, Uitgeverij De Fontein
- Magazines: National Geographic, Buitenleven, GEO Wissen, MUSE, Wapiti, World of Animals
- Province of Antwerp, Province of West-Flanders
- Research institutions: Ghent University, Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences, Senckenberg
- NGOs: Medics Without Vacation, Stichting De Noordzee, Stichting Duik de Noordzee Schoon
- Festival international d’Arts Nature Coeur de France (Château d’Ainay le Vieil, France, 12-14 June 2015), with support from the Flemish Community